Spring Grove Cemetery is adjacent to Old North Cemetery Hartford's North East Neighborhood. It is set back away from the street so that the noise of Windsor (now Main) Street would not disturb its tranquil environment.
Founded by Stephen Page in 1845 on 55 acres of land, the cemetery is the permanent home of many descendants of Hartford's early families and other notables, including Heublein, Churchill, Trumbull, Batterson, Goodrich, Hotchkiss, Talcott, Loomis, Goodwin, Seymour, Burnham, Brainard, Bidwell, Colt, Enders, Root and Wadsworth. There are also over one hundred Civil War veterans interred at Spring Grove and, before the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Arch in Hartford was completed in 1885, the Connecticut Chapter of the Grand Army of the Republic held their annual Memorial Day celebration at the cemetery.
The non-sectarian cemetery is owned by a private association and remains active. In 2005, the board of the Spring Grove Cemetery Association was given an award by the Hartford Preservation Alliance for their efforts in restoring this historic burying ground.
Artist who is most well known for painting realistic tropical landscapes and whose work hangs in the New York City Public Libraries Gallery and Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Author, poet and teacher.
Founder of what is now the American School for the Deaf, the first school for the deaf in the U.S.
Wife of Hartford Trust Company President Charles Pond and namesake of Elizabeth Park in Hartford.
Hartford's first African-American firefighter.
Civil War Union Army Officer; United States Congressman; Mayor of Hartford from 1854 to 1858.
For information on others at Spring Grove Cemetery, visit Find-A-Grave.