The Naming of Streets in Coltsvile ~ Hartford, Connecticut
From History of Hartford Streets, Bulletin No. 9 published by the Municipal Art Society of Hartford in 1911.
Mouse-over underlined street name to see its position on the map.
Samuel Colt is given credit for the naming of several streets in the area where the Colt Firearms Manufacturing Company was located. In doing so, he paid tribute to the Native Americans who made it possible for Hartford to exist, as well as the Dutch who first came to Hartford.
Originally, Samuel Colt's plans to develop the meadows called for six roads, called the South Meadow Highways. They were numbered accordingly, but later changed to street names. Colt honored some of the Native Americans who signed the first or second deeds conveyed the land to the Dutch, as follows:
Sequassen Street (South Meadow Highway No. 5), was named after "Sounckquasson, Sachem of Suckhaig, alias Hartford," who conveyed the land around 1636 by the first deed.
Streets named for signers of the second deed (1671) by Native Americans to the Town of Hartford:
Wawarme Avenue (South Meadow Dyke Road Nos. 5 and 6), named after Warwarme, who was referred to as "Wawarme the sister and only heire of Sunckquasson" and referred elsewhere as Sounckquasson, Sachem of Suckhaig, alias Hartford."
Vanblock Avenue (South Meadow Highway No. 7) named for the Dutch navigator, Adrian Block, who built the yacht Onrust, which made the first voyage up the Connecticut River under the command of Lieut. Hendrixen when the site of Hartford was discovered.
Hendricxen Avenue was named after Cornelius Hendrickson, the lieutenant of the Dutch sloop "Onrust." Note: the spelling of this street appears differently over time. Even on the illustration below, it is shown as "Hendrixen" at the street's left end and "Hendrixon" at its right. None of these spellings is the same as the lieutenant's last name.
Vredendale Avenue (South Meadow Highway No. 9) named probably after a plantation called Vrendendale, belonging to a Dutch navigator named DeVries, who visited the Dutch fort in Hartford in 1639.
Nepaquash Street, formerly known as the South Meadow Highway No. 6, was named by the Court of Common Council on September 12, 1910 at the suggestion of Charles W. Gross after the Indian Sachem from whom the Dutch purchased the land. (letter in Courant Sept. 1, 1910). This street did not exist in 1877 when the illustrated map was created. However, Nepaquash today runs parallel to Sequassen between Van Block and Vrendendale.
Back to Previous Page<